Birding with Mandy was a highlight of our Oahu holday. She is so much more than just a “list it and go” guide but rather is a passionate and vivacious ornithologist who cares greatly for those on her tour. During our day with her, Mandy made sure that each stop was comfortable for those participating and that we had the unhurried time to spot and enjoy the activities of the birds we saw. No one felt rushed but also we didn’t dawdle along. In this one day excursion we experienced forest, wetland, ocean, rural, and urban birding each with its own unique inhabitants.
Epic Mountain Scenery
Bird watching Oahu
Journey Into the Heart of Oahu to Discover Endemic Species
Join us on a captivating journey through the lush tropical rainforests of the Ko’olau Mountains, to find colorful endemic forest birds. During this gentle hike, you’ll traverse through Oahu’s lush green valleys on the lookout for rare and endangered species among the beautiful mountainous backdrops – perfect for some stunning pictures. What truly sets this tour apart is not just the scenic beauty or the unique birdlife, but your guide’s deep understanding of the nature here. This tour isn’t just a walk in the wild; it’s a chance to learn about the conservation efforts and discover how you can help to ensure Oahu remains a place to go birding for generations to come. Oahu birding tours don’t come better than this and we proudly welcome all levels of birders on our tours!
Why Choose This Tour?
Gain an understanding of the conservation efforts on the island
Get expert help spotting the five endemic birds exclusive to Oahu
Descend into the lush forested valleys of Oahu in search of the endangered Oahu Elepaio with a local expert
Group tour: $185 per person plus tax
Private tour: $1095 plus HI tax for up to 10 people
Guests coming from outside of Waikiki can easily meet us on Mahukona Street at 6:30 am and Atkinson Drive. This is along the side of Ala Moana Hotel aka Ala Moana Honolulu by Mantra: 410 Atkinson Dr, Honolulu, HI 96814. There is a Starbucks inside the hotel lobby and lots of free and secure parking at the Ala Moana Center (shopping mall). This shopping mall and parking garage is massive, so please make a note of where you parked your car rental. Please give yourself enough time to arrive promptly with weekday Honolulu rush hour traffic.
- 6:40 am at flag poles in front of the Ilikai Hotel aka Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites: 1777 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96815 on Ala Moana Boulevard.
- 6:45 am at the Trump Hotel aka Trump International Hotel Waikiki: 223 Saratoga Rd, Honolulu, HI 96815 on Saratoga Road.
- 6:50 am at the Holiday Inn Express aka Holiday Inn Express Waikiki, an IHG Hotel: 2058 Kūhiō Ave., Honolulu, HI 96815 on Kuhio Avenue.
- 6:55 am at the Hyatt Regency aka Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort And Spa: 2424 Kalākaua Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815 on Koa Avenue under the green awning. We recommend arriving early, as one of our favorite local coffee shops, Kai Coffee Hawaii, is on the first floor of the hotel.
- 7:00 am at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel aka Queen Kapiʻolani Hotel Waikīkī Beach: 150 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815 on Kapahulu Avenue facing Honolulu Zoo. Knots Coffee Roasters in the lobby of the hotel opens at 6 am.
Daily, 7 am to 12 pm, August through June
Minimum 3, maximum 8
- Mosquito repellent
- Online checklists
- Transportation to and from Waikiki
- The use of binoculars if needed
- The use of a walking stick if needed
What to bring
- Lightweight long pants
- A water bottle to refill
- Sun protection
- A lightweight raincoat
- Hiking shoes, as the trail difficulty is not challenging but conditions may be wet and slippery.
- Lightweight long-sleeve shirt – the mosquitoes can sometimes be bad in the valleys where the Oahu Elepaio are found.
- You must be prepared to walk 1 -2 miles on uneven and often muddy terrain in search of Oahu Elepaio. Walking sticks and foldable stools are recommended for those with difficulty standing and walking for several hours at a time.
- Scopes generally don’t work well, as small endemic forest birds tend to move quickly throughout the canopy.
About your guide
1 expert guide
Target Species List
Participation requirement: You must be prepared to walk 1 -2 miles on uneven and often muddy terrain in search of Oahu Elepaio. Walking sticks and foldable stools are recommended for those with difficulty standing and walking for several hours at a time.
Cancellation for group trips: All daily tours have a 48-hour cancellation policy. If you cancel prior to 48 hours of the start of the tour, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel within 48 hours of your scheduled trip departure, no refund fees will be provided. No-shows are responsible for 100% of trip fees.
Cancellation for private tours: There is a 7-day cancellation policy for all private tours. Credit cards will be taken at the time of booking. If you cancel outside of 7 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel within 7 days of the tour no refund fees will be provided. No-shows are responsible for 100% of trip fees.
Read Why People Love Us
Mandy’s Birding Tour does what it sets out to do and more with Mandy’s great preparation and organization. She is an excellent birder, personally active in the islands’ conservation and related all kinds of information about the birds and the vegetation connected with them as the day progressed. Actually Mandy gave us a terrific tour of every aspect of the island. She has a great personality and is easy to be with and easily takes care of every person. We loved the tour. We love Mandy. It was one of our best days in Oahu.