We were so fortunate to have Mandy as our bird watching guide in Kauai. Mandy is incredibly knowledgeable about the bird fauna in the Hawaiian Islands. She is very entertaining as well. There was never a dull moment on our tour. Highly recommended.
Endemic Forest Birds
Casual Walking Tour
Join Us in the Search for Endemic & Endangered Birds on the Garden Isle
If you’re looking to do Kauai birding then there’s no better option than with us! Book this tour and embark on an adventure into the lush rainforests on the garden isle to search for endemic forest birds including iconic Hawaiian honeycreepers and the island’s endemic monarch flycatcher. Afterwards, we will search coastal lagoons and wetlands for endangered waterbirds and visit shorebirds while taking in the stunning vistas of Waimea Canyon and Kōkeʻe along the way. This full-day trip is a great introduction to Kauai’s wildlife, with short, casual walks, along Kauai’s rugged west side.
Why Choose This Tour?
Enjoy the expertise offered by our fun and informative guides
Gain an understanding of the challenges faced by endangered forest birds on Kauai
Traverse through native rainforests and wetlands in search of an array of incredible endemic birds
Click the tabs below to find out more...
Group tour: $255 per person plus tax
Private tour: $1795 plus HI tax for up to 10 people
- 6:00 am by the Island Country Markets in the parking lot of The Coconut Marketplace: 4-484 Kūhiō Highway Suite #101, Kapaʻa, Hawaiʻi 96746. Please note there is not much open on the very laid back garden isle at this hour. We recommend those looking for a quick bite or some caffeine visit our friends at the First Light Coffee & Juice Bar in the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort just past the lobby, which opens daily at 5:30 am.
(For guests staying in Hanalei, Princeville, Kapaa, Kilauea and Wailua)
- 6:20 am in the Lihue Safeway parking lot: 4454 Nuhou St Suite #301, Lihue, HI 96766. This Safeway location is open 24 hours with public restrooms and a Starbucks that opens at 6 am.
(For guests staying in Lihue)
- 6:40am in the Kalaheo Cafe & Coffee Company parking lot: 2-2560 Kaumualii Hwy, Kalaheo, HI 96741. They’re only open Wed -Sun from 7 -2 and Wed -Sat from 5 -8.
(Guests staying in Poipu, Koloa and Kalaheo)
- 7:00am at the Waimea Athletic Fields along Kamualii Hwy aka Route 50. There is lots of room to safely pull off the road and park along the fence behind the bathrooms at the athletic fields, which are right across the street from the driveway of the Waimea Plantation Cottages: 9400 Kaumualii Hwy, Waimea, HI 96796. The Waimea Athletic Fields are just half a mile past the Big Save Market in Waimea, which opens at 5am and serves local hot breakfast.
(Guests staying in Waimea and Kekaha)
6:30 am to 4:30 pm weekdays, August through June
Minimum 4, maximum 8
- Water to refill water bottles
- Online checklists
- Transportation to and from meeting points in Kapaa/ Wailua, Lihue, Kalaheo, and Waimea
- Waimea Canyon & Kokee state park entrance fees
- The use of a walking stick if needed
- The use of binoculars if needed
- The use of a scope if needed
- Lunch – we will make a local lunch stop where you can choose and purchase your lunch.
What to bring
- Comfortable lightweight
- Quick dry clothing
- Closed-toed, waterproof shoes with good grip and support
- Sun protection
- Rain gear (Kokee State Park borders the Alakai Wilderness Preserve, which can annually receive over 400” of rainfall).
- A refillable water bottle.
- Warmer layers are sometimes needed (Our birding destination in Kokee is a montane mesic forest 4,000’ above sea level)
- This tour involves a 1 -2 mile walk on uneven and often wet terrain in search of Hawaiian honeycreepers. Walking sticks and foldable stools are recommended for those with difficulty standing and walking for several hours at a time.
- We will be birding above 4,000 feet above sea level in a montane wet forest with temperatures between 45- and 75-degrees Fahrenheit before returning to the coast where temperatures can easily get above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
About your guide
1 expert guide
Target Species List
Pacific Golden Plover (not usually in May/ June)
Wandering Tattler (not usually in May/ June)
Participation requirement: This tour involves a 1 -2 mile walk on uneven and often wet terrain in search of Hawaiian honeycreepers. Walking sticks and foldable stools are recommended for those with difficulty standing and walking for several hours at a time.
Cancellation for group trips: All daily tours have a 48-hour cancellation policy. If you cancel prior to 48 hours of the start of the tour, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel within 48 hours of your scheduled trip departure, no refund fees will be provided. No-shows are responsible for 100% of trip fees.
Cancellation for private tours: There is a 7-day cancellation policy for all private tours. Credit cards will be taken at the time of booking. If you cancel outside of 7 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel within 7 days of the tour no refund fees will be provided. No-shows are responsible for 100% of trip fees.
Read Why People Love Us
Mandy is amazing and so knowledgeable. We spent an entire day birding on Kauai and managed to add 10 birds to my life list, including 3 endemics. She also gave me pointers for other places to go on the other islands to see specific species and with her help I added a total of 39 birds to my life list. I will definitely book with Mandy for my next trip to the islands.